Required Reading is a weekly listing of all the bits of visual inspiration, cool videos, news, hip links, and miscellaneous information that rattles my head during the week. The stuff that’s worth bookmarking and gets my brain-juices flowing – hopefully yours as well.
• A bit of bestial recycling, I wouldn’t mind having these sculptures by Yong Ho Ji guarding my studio.
• David Friedman’s fascinating interview with Steven Sasson, creator of the digital camera. I had the immense pleasure of being present for this wonderful interview.
• One of my long time inspirations, Rodney Smith, talks on his blog about an interesting and often present object in his work… hats. Rodney’s blog The End Starts Here, is definitely on my list of must read blogs every week.
• So glad someone has put into words the feelings I have long-held about the importance of what the viewer brings to the photographic experience…. and the utter BS and unnecessary nature of artist statements.
• Stepping away from his well established body of stylized and quirky portraits, the deeply talented (and occasional guest on this blog) John Keatley presents a series personal work made up of surreal and beautiful landscapes… Dear God I want a print of one of these someday.
• An amazing five-part documentary on the work of Helmut Newton, filmed by his wife. Definitely NSFW… and definitely not to be missed.
• Strobist presents a video by Dan Winters on great photographs. The main message I took away from it is that photographers cannot be just technicians, the creative mind is the true thing of value and we should all be striving to cultivate and improve it. A well-lit, but boring image, will always be boring.
• This weeks frivolous object of desire… I want
• From the Basement has been my musical obsession all week.